October 2, 2013

Unique

This week's quote is from one of my favourite Fleet Foxes songs, Helplessness Blues. I really like Robin Pecknold's songwriting, since he always seems to be able to capture these ideas in a very metaphorical but clear way. The passage below explains a kind of uniqueness that is similar to snowflakes: from a distance we all appear to be the same, but when you look more closely, you see that every single person is one-of-a-kind.

I was raised up believing
I was somehow unique
Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes
Unique in each way you can see
- Fleet Foxes

The verse continues with: "but after some thinking, I think I'd rather be a functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me" which seems to be a contradiction, but I actually think this doesn't have to be like that. I believe you can be unique AND be a functioning part of the machine.

Love, Lisa

PS: We used these lyrics as an inspiration for our Delicate As Stone and Soft As Stone bracelets. Every stone is completely unique, even though they look similar, which - to us - is a perfect comparison to people (and snowflakes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment